News report | | 07-05-2021 | ±4 minutes reading time

Put together a family holiday in Canada based on your wishes and preferences. Do you and your family want to see as much as possible in as short a time as possible, or do you prefer a more relaxed holiday? Whatever your plans, you need an eTA Canada to travel to Canada. This also applies to children and babies.

Why Canada is the right place for families

Canada has something for every family. The country is ideal for active families, but Canada is also a great place for a relaxing holiday. No other country has such diverse landscapes as Canada. Children can enjoy the vast nature and discover new species and fascinating landscapes on foot, by bicycle or by canoe. Not only will children be continuously amazed in Canada, there is also plenty for parents to enjoy.

Due to its great infrastructure, the north of Canada is a very child-friendly destination. The Canadians themselves like to go out in their own country. Canada also has many campsites that are suitable for children. These often include swimming pools and/or sports fields available.

For the nature lovers among us

Families will not be bored for a single moment in Canada’s breathtaking nature. From snow-capped mountain peaks to green forests and immense lakes, Canada has it all. There are countless opportunities for hiking, cycling and climbing. But there is more. Take a canoe or kayak trip and enjoy nature. For older children who like adventure, rafting is a good option.

In Canada, you can admire many impressive animals in the wild. Think of different kinds of bears, moose, whales and seals. Since there is a chance of coming face to face with one of these wild animals, it is important that parents always stay close to their children.

A relaxing holiday in Canada

To unwind, families can visit one of the lesser-known areas, such as the provinces in Atlantic Canada on the east coast. During an overnight stay in the wilderness, the children will feel like cowboys.

Families in need of some luxury can stay in one of the child-friendly hotels or resorts on the coast near British Columbia. While the children have fun in the water, the parents can relax on the beach in the sun and enjoy delicious cocktails. Popular British Columbia resorts include Prince Rupert, Squamish, Tofino and Queen Charlotte, where whales can be found and surfing and diving can be enjoyed. Children from the age of 6 can take surfing lessons, and from the age of 8 they can learn to dive. A child must be at least 10 years old to obtain a Junior Open Water Diver certificate. After obtaining the certificate, diving must of course be supervised by an adult.

Best time to visit Canada with children

The eTA Canada allows travellers to stay in the country for up to 6 months. The best time to travel to Canada depends on your travel plans. Sun, sea and sand lovers should visit the country during the summer months. The average maximum temperature in the months of June, July and August is between 24 and 27 degrees Celsius. If the discovery of nature is the first priority, then it is advised not staying in the country for less than three weeks. In this case, the months of May and September, with an average maximum temperature of 19 degrees Celsius, are also very suitable for a trip to Canada.

Children also need an eTA Canada

Whether families choose a holiday exploring Canada’s nature, go for a relaxing break or prefer a combination of both, each member of the family must have an eTA or a Canada visa before the trip can commence. In the case of minors, the legal guardian applies for the eTA on behalf of each child, but even if the children are over 18, their parents can apply for the eTA on their behalf through a group application. One eTA application form can then be used to apply for a travel authorisation for the whole family at the same time by clicking on the button ’Add a traveller’. The benefit of this is that the contact and travel details only need to be filled in once.

If a child is travelling without both parents or guardians, an English or French declaration of consent must be carried in addition to an eTA. This states that the parents or guardians consent to the children travelling to Canada. Also bring a copy of the identity card or passport of the parent(s) or guardian(s) just to be sure, and an international birth certificate or extract from the Basic Registration of Persons.

Take note: this news article about the eTA for Canada is more than one year old. It might contain outdated information and advice, and no rights can therefore be derived from this article. Are you going on a trip soon and do you wish to do know what rules currently apply? Read all about the up-to-date information about the eTA for Canada.