This travel advice can help you with a good preparation for your trip to Canada. It has been carefully compiled with information from both national and international government sources, among which the official UK government website. Please consult this advice before your travels. Following this travel advice offers no guarantee for a risk-free trip. You remain responsible.

Please note that this travel advice does not include information about coronavirus in Canada.
For that, you should check the page about coronavirus measures in Canada..

Actueel reisadvies

Travel advice Canada: safe to travel
The travel advice for Canada is positive. This means that, apart from any regular safety risks, there are no additional travel restrictions in place for Canada. It is important to consider the standard safety risks. This will be further explained on this page.

Preparations for the trip

Firstly, it is important to have your affairs in order before travelling to Canada. Make sure to have all the necessary documents, and that these remain valid long enough. For example, do not forget to apply for an eTA or Canada visa.


eTA CanadaTravellers who do not hold a Canadian or US passport, and who arrive in Canada by aeroplane, need a visa for Canada. Tourists and business travellers who plan to stay in Canada for no longer than 6 months can fulfil this visa requirement with an eTA Canada. The eTA is an electronic travel authorisation that is linked to the traveller’s passport and is valid for up to 5 years. With the maximum stay of 6 months per visit, the eTA is ideal for a holiday, family visit, or business trip.
Passport (mandatory)To apply for the eTA, you must be in possession of a valid passport. This passport must also be valid for your entire stay in Canada, plus one day. Has your passport expired? Then apply for a new passport before using your new passport to apply for an eTA. Already have an eTA but your passport has expired? In this case you must also apply for a new eTAwith the new passport.
Driving licence and IDPTo be sure, apply for an International Driving Permit before you travel if you plan to rent a car or drive in Canada. Some car rental companies require an International Driving Permit (IDP) and in some provinces it is mandatory. Please note that an International Driving Permit can only be obtained in your home country before departure, not in Canada.
Embassy registrationIt is possible to register your trip at the Embassy in Canada. In case of an emergency, the embassy can help you more easily and in case of an acute safety risk (such as a natural disaster or disease outbreak) you will receive a notification about this. When applying for an eTA on , you can indicate whether you wish to register the trip with the embassy.

Apply for the eTA Canada

Health-related advice

Different rules for health care and medication may apply to visitors to Canada than to residents. There are also other health risks than in the United Kingdom or Ireland. Below you will find a short overview of important preparations and regulations. This advice was not written by a doctor.

Medical insuranceTake out all-risk health insurance with your insurance company. Medical costs can be high in Canada, especially if you are being referred for treatment.
VaccinationsThe vaccinations required for Canada vary from one traveller to another. Ask your general practitioner or specialised doctor about this.
MedicationYou are allowed to bring medicines into Canada for your own use. This may be a supply for up to 90 days. Before you leave, check whether you need a doctor’s certificate for certain medications at NMRA .
Medical emergenciesThe emergency number in Canada is 911. You can always go to the emergency rooms of hospitals without an appointment. However, the waiting time here can be up to several hours.

Laws and advice

Comply with local laws to avoid confrontation with authorities. Follow authoritative instructions carefully and be respectful of Canadian cultures and laws.

Drugs and alcoholIn Canada, the minimum age for alcohol is either 18 or 19, depending on the provinces. In some places, people below the minimum age are not allowed to enter a bar. Minor are only allowed to consume alcohol if provided by their parent or legal guardian in their home environment.
Since 2018, weed (cannabis) in Canada has been legal to possess, produce and distribute. Cannabis is also sometimes prescribed as medicine. Consuming or dealing in heavier drugs can be heavily punished.
LGBTI and minority groupsThe LGBTI community is well accepted in Canada. It is a criminal offence to openly express disapproval of this, or other vulnerable communities.
Imported goodsYou should always declare goods such as meat, dairy products, vegetables, fruit and animals to the authorities. Without a declaration, you may lose your belongings and be fined. Amounts of money of more than 10,000 Canadian dollars also require a declaration.
Driving a car Winter driving in Canada can be dangerous due to extreme cold and snowfall. Check the local news and make sure you have special snow tyres. Seatbelts are mandatory everywhere and uninsured vehicles are not allowed on the roads.

Natural hazard

Hurricanes and tornadosBetween July and November, hurricanes occur regularly in coastal areas. Tornadoes also occur regularly throughout the country, but especially between May and September. To keep informed about hurricanes and tornadoes, follow the local news. Severe thunderstorms can also occasionally cause damage.
Earthquakes and tsunamisThe provinces of Yukon and British Columbia are at risk from seismic activity. On the coast of British Columbia, earthquakes can also cause tsunamis. Are you by the sea and does the water suddenly recede at a rapid pace? This is the most important sign of an approaching tsunami. Go inland as soon as possible and warn others.
Forest firesForest fires could occur in any season. The risk of forest fires is higher in forests and grasslands in the west. Summers are usually warm and dry.
Winter in CanadaWinter in Canada is known for extreme temperatues, especially in the north. The temperature can drop to -30℃ in some places. Due to the risk of blizzards and avalanches, many highways are closed in winter.

Additional advice

  • Take care of your belongings. Never keep important things like your passport and wallet in a loose bag and keep copies of your data in a safe place. This includes your credit card and insurance details, as well as passport and other travel documents. In the event of theft, it will then be easier to obtain new documents.
  • Respect nature. When you go camping, do not leave any rubbish behind.
  • There are areas with low mobile coverage. If you are going to travel through such an area, leave the travel information with a trusted person.

In case of emergency, call 911. You can also reach the British High Commission in Ontario at +1 613-237-1530

eTA Canada

To ensure that you can travel to Canada, apply for the eTA Canada well in advance of your trip. The validity period of the eTA is up to 5 years, during which time you can travel to Canada multiple times with the same eTA. Each stay may last up to 6 months, more than enough for a wonderful holiday in Canada. Before applying, check if you meet the requirements of the eTA Canada. Do you meet the requirements? Request your eTA online. Open the eTA online request form

Disclaimer: you remain responsible
This travel advice for the United States has been compiled with care. Nevertheless, will not accept liability for any problems, damage or injury that may occur from the use of this information. You must remain vigilant at all times while travelling in Canada and you are solely responsible for your safety while travelling and staying in the USA, as well as for the choice of whether or not to take a particular trip. Before travelling to Canada, it is advisable to consult the latest security updates from the Government of the Netherlands regarding travel to Canada ( or to consult the British High Commission in Ontario, and/or information from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.