News report | | 21-10-2022 | ±3 minutes reading time

Now that all COVID-19 measures have been lifted, holidays and business trips to Canada are possible again. Do you want to set up your business in Canada? Then the start-up visa (SUV) might be an option.

Canadaʼs Start-up Visa (SUV) programme started in 2013 as a five-year pilot project. Now, almost a decade later, Canada has gained 600 new permanent residents thanks to this visa. Check the requirements of this visa to find out if this could also be an option for you. If you want to go to Canada for a business trip lasting less than 6 months, you can also apply for an eTA Canada.

Start-up visa requirements

There are some basic requirements to qualify for the start-up visa. For example, you must:

  • have a business that is eligible;
  • hold a written statement of support from an authorised organisation;
  • have enough money to be able to settle in Canada and make a living;
  • meet language requirements (meet the minimum level of 5 of the Canadian Language Benchmark in English or French).

So there are quite a few requirementes you need to meet to be eligible for the start-up visa. If you are travelling to Canada for a holiday, for example, you can also apply for an eTA Canada. This travel authorisation is also suitable for making a business trip. To apply for an eTA, you also have to meet a number of requirements; however, these are less strict than those of the SUV.

What is the minimum investment required to submit an application?

If you want to apply for the Canadian start-up visa, you must have investors. In case the investment comes from one of Canadaʼs designated venture capital funds, you must secure an investment of at least $200,000. Even if you receive investments from multiple venture capital funds, the investment must be at least $200,000 in total. The investment may also come from an informal venture capitalist. In that case, you need to secure a minimum investment of $75,000. You do not need an investment from a business incubator. However, you must be admitted to a programme of a Canadian business incubator.

How do I receive support from one of the authorised organisations?

If you want to apply for a start-up visa, your venture or business plan must have the support of one of the designated organisations. To find out how to receive that support, you need to contact the organisation in question. You must be able to convince this organisation that your venture or business plan is worth supporting.

What happens if my venture fails?

If things go wrong with a business run by of someone using the start-up visa, their status as a permanent resident will not be affected.

Are you not interested in starting a business in Canada? For a holiday, business trip, transfer or visit to friends and/or family, you can apply for an eTA for Canada.

Are you an entrepreneur going to Canada for a business trip only, and will you be staying for a maximum of six months? Even then, you can apply for an eTA. Applying for this electronic travel authorisation is easier, faster and cheaper than applying for a visa for Canada. If you meet the requirements, you can easily apply for the eTA by filling in the online application form.

Please note: this news article about the eTA for Canada is more than one year old. It might contain outdated information and advice, and no rights can therefore be derived from this article. Are you going on a trip soon and do you wish to do know what rules currently apply? Read all about the up-to-date information about the eTA for Canada. is a commercial and professional visa agency, and supports travellers in obtaining, among others, the eTA Canada. acts as an intermediary and is in no way part of any government. You can also apply for an eTA directly with the immigration service (7 CAD per eTA, via However, not with our level of support. If you submit your application via, our support centre is available to you 24/7. We also check your application before submitting it to the immigration authorities on your behalf. If we suspect any errors or omissions while doing so, we will personally contact you to ensure that your application can still be processed quickly and correctly. To use our services, you pay us 7 CAD in consular fees, which we pay to the immigration service on your behalf, as well as € 25,18 in service fees as compensation for our services, including VAT. Our services have saved many travellers from major problems during their trip. Should an application be rejected despite our support and verification, we will refund the full purchase price (unless an application for a previous eTA Canada was rejected for the same traveller). Read more about our services here.