News report | | 24-11-2021 | ±3 minutes reading time

Canada has many good universities that welcome international students. Previously, only an eTA was required to study in Canada for a maximum of 6 months. Now it is a bit more complicated: in addition to an eTA, foreign students also need a Study Permit. Here you can read about all the rules that apply and how also to apply for an eTA.

What is a Study Permit?

A Study Permit is a document that allows international students to study in Canada. It is important to note that a Study Permit is not a visa, but an additional document to an eTA Canada. Students need both permits to be able to enter Canada and to study. This new rule was introduced due to the coronavirus. Before that, students could also study in Canada without a Study Permit for a maximum of 6 months if they met all the requirements.

Therefore, international students need a Study Permit. This costs 150 CAD and is valid for the entire length of the study. If you finish your studies early, you may stay in Canada for another 90 days. If you wish to study longer, you will need to apply for an extension.

Study Permit Requirements

It is important to be prepared before you start your studies in Canada. There are some requirements that students must meet in order to study in Canada. To be eligible for a Study Permit students must:

  • Be enrolled in a designated learning institution. These are designated schools and universities that have been approved by the Canadian government. These schools and universities have a special ‘COVID-19 readiness plan‘ with coronavirus measures in place.
  • Prove that they have enough money to pay for all expenses, including tuition, living expenses and travel costs
  • Have no criminal record
  • Have a good health
  • Prove that they will leave Canada after their Study Permit expires

Work while you study

Studying in Canada with a Study Permit also has its advantages. For example, it is possible to apply for an extension to stay in Canada longer without having to submit a whole new application. In addition, students with a Study Permit are also allowed to work in Canada while they study. Travellers who only have an eTA are not allowed to work in Canada.

Submitting documents

When applying for the Study Permit, several documents must be provided, such as an admission letter from the institution that has a COVID-19 plan, a proof of financial resources, a scan of a valid passport and two passport photographs. Additional documents may also be requested.

Corona measures on arrival in Canada

Corona measures apply upon arrival in Canada. The educational institution must have a covid-19 plan that meets the guidelines. This may require the students to spend 14 days in quarantine, even if they have been fully vaccinated. A negative test certificate must also be produced and all vaccination details must be on the ArriveCAN app.

Apply for an eTA Canada

Finally, it is important to have an eTA before you can start enjoying the student life in Canada. If you apply for a Study Permit and this is approved, you will automatically be granted an eTA.

Please note that if you leave Canada and want to re-enter, you will need a valid eTA. It is possible that your Study Permit is still valid, but your eTA will not. For example, if you have applied for a new passport. It is easy to apply for an eTA online via the form on this site.. An eTA is valid for five years and costs € 29,95 per person. It can also be used for tourist and business trips or for a transit in Canada. As long as your passport is valid, you can travel to Canada an unlimited number of times. Each time you enter the country you may stay for 6 consecutive months. Always check that the eTA is valid before you leave.

Please note: this news article about the eTA for Canada is more than one year old. It might contain outdated information and advice, and no rights can therefore be derived from this article. Are you going on a trip soon and do you wish to do know what rules currently apply? Read all about the up-to-date information about the eTA for Canada. is a commercial and professional visa agency, and supports travellers in obtaining, among others, the eTA Canada. acts as an intermediary and is in no way part of any government. You can also apply for an eTA directly with the immigration service (7 CAD per eTA, via However, not with our level of support. If you submit your application via, our support centre is available to you 24/7. We also check your application before submitting it to the immigration authorities on your behalf. If we suspect any errors or omissions while doing so, we will personally contact you to ensure that your application can still be processed quickly and correctly. To use our services, you pay us 7 CAD in consular fees, which we pay to the immigration service on your behalf, as well as € 25,17 in service fees as compensation for our services, including VAT. Our services have saved many travellers from major problems during their trip. Should an application be rejected despite our support and verification, we will refund the full purchase price (unless an application for a previous eTA Canada was rejected for the same traveller). Read more about our services here.